Specialized Certifications for Personal Trainers & Strength Coaches: PICP
I simply took the Poliquin International Certification Program (PICP) degree 1 Strength Coach Certification in New York City ($650, Three days). It was actually good data.
I discovered in regards to the certification via a mentor, Joe Dowdell. I belief his opinion as a result of he’s very dedicated to persevering with training and has taken just about each respectable certification.
Charles Poliquin is a well-known power coach who has skilled extra Olympians than some other power coach I can consider (besides perhaps Mike Boyle).
If you learn Part. 1 of this collection, you already know that there are numerous good certifications on the market, and there’s no one finest certification for everybody. It all is determined by who you need to work with and your profession path.
But, if you wish to work with athletes to extend efficiency, this certification is up there with the NSCA’s C.S.C.S. and the Athlete’s Performance mini-internship (each of which I’ve taken, and actually, despite the fact that NSCA is essentially the most revered, I really feel like I acquired extra sensible data from Poliquin and Athlete’s Performance.)
There are a number of issues that I cherished about this certification, and a few issues that I believe could possibly be improved.
* The degree 1 power coach certification focuses on manipulating acute coaching variable (units, reps, tempo, and relaxation) for extremely efficient program design. These could look like fundamentals, however no different certification covers it like Poliquin. It’s superb how few individuals actually perceive find out how to manipulate time below stress, tempo, and relaxation for particular targets and sports activities. They additionally emphasize creating exact descriptions of each train, to make sure essentially the most quantity of variation and adaptation (Squat vs Barbell Back Squat Shoulder Width Stance).
* I cherished how a lot analysis they supplied as proof, though they may have performed a greater job summarizing it. I’ve discovered that the most effective certifications concentrate on one space. (Too many certifications attempt to be a jack of all trades, and find yourself being a grasp of none.)
* The data simply transfers to sensible utility, and is relevant to your basic inhabitants purchasers. If you need to study program design, particularly for energy, power, or fats loss, this certification is nice.
* They present a very good methodology and protocol for testing maximal power, though considerably incomplete (see under). Based on this take a look at, they supply a pleasant system, based mostly on research, for assessing the steadiness of power all through the higher physique. (Ex. If you carry xxx on the bench press, it is best to have the ability to do 8rm of exterior rotation with 8.6% of that bench press weight, and if you cannot there may be an imbalance and so on).
* The course instructors had been pleasant, educated, and beneficiant with their consideration.
* You must take a take a look at earlier than being admitted to the category, along with a take a look at on the finish. I like this! Only dedicated trainers present up, and so they present up with a very good understanding of the fundamental materials, so no one asks silly questions.
* One of the instructors did not perceive BASIC biomechanics. Either that, or we had a significant miss communication.
* Some of the images within the guide had been deceptive and/or complicated.
* The little demo on stretching was a waste of time at finest, and deceptive at worst. Stick to what you might be good at, depart the stretching to certifications that concentrate on that!
* We had been quizzed on Cluster Training and German Body coaching, which may be very cool stuff, however we solely glossed over it in the course of the lecture. I want to have spent extra time on these particular packages, however there may be numerous good information about them on-line too.
* Some of the matters within the guide could possibly be worded higher. Initially, they do an okay job of defining the completely different power qualities (restrict power, maximal power, absolute power, pace power, power endurance), however aren’t as clear once they refer to those qualities in a while within the guide.
* They had been clearly negligent and never following their very own methodology once they selected a coach to show the 1rm testing protocol for the bench press. The particularly selected somebody who seemed to be out of structural alignment, after which examined him to his restrict, with out ever asking him if he has been figuring out persistently for the final 12 weeks (which is their very own protocol).
* Furthermore, they need to change their protocol and ask what sort of exercise has been performed during the last 12 weeks, as a result of an individual could possibly be figuring out for 12 weeks and nonetheless not be prepared for a 1rm bench press. RULE # 1 in private coaching is do no hurt. The coach got here within the subsequent day and could not take part in sure lifts, and my understanding was that he had joint ache, not simply muscular soreness. Not cool and never essential. I later talked to a different coach who mentioned he was injured in a PICP certification.
You could learn this final half and say “Whoa, no way am I doing this certification” however I believe it is best to rethink, it’s a very priceless certification, simply know your personal limits and do not do something you suppose is dangerous (and preserve the ego in verify! I do know it’s onerous when there are different trainers round).
We all needed to do a 1rm take a look at to get expertise; I selected the pull up as a result of I’m a rock climber. I used to be in a position to do 1 pull-up with 90lbs loaded on me, chin over bar. There are a number of workout routines to select from, so it is best to have the ability to discover one you might be comfy with, and if not, you possibly can and may go.
Regarding the biomechanics difficulty, one of many instructors talked about he does 1 and ¼ reps on bench press with women with the ¼ rep on the high of the movement, as a result of this a part of the movement overloads the triceps and women care in regards to the again of their arms trying good.
Totally cool with me. This teacher had talked about that he’s very exact in monitoring his packages and workout routines, so I requested was if he ever manipulated their intention on the bar to overload their triceps additionally?
In different phrases, you possibly can push out towards the friction of the barbell together with your triceps, your arms aren’t going to maneuver, however the line of power attributable to the friction, when mixed with the road of power of the barbell (gravity) creates a resultant with a unique line of power that adjustments the power angle’s on the axes of rotation of the shoulder joint and elbow joint. (Not a typo, axes is the plural of axis. Who knew?)
With intention, you may make the bottom a part of bench press more durable for the triceps, and the highest half more durable for the chest. Can you do that and nonetheless carry maximal weight? No! Can you simply carry a barbell with solely your triceps? No! But that was not my query.
His response was “I would love for you to come do chest with me sometime” as if who might bench essentially the most would settle who knew essentially the most (It does not, duh).
Whoa there cowboy, first off, I used to be simply asking a query, second off, I might be honored to exercise with you as a result of you already know quite a bit, even for those who do not perceive fundamental biomechanics, and thirdly, you might be welcome to do certainly one of my empire state constructing stair exercises with me. I can rise up 86 flights in UNDER 15minutes, I might love to observe your face as you attempt to sustain, though to do this I must decelerate, and gradual ain’t my type buddy. Either approach, neither of those exercises would settle something, I used to be simply making an attempt to study from his perspective with out dropping my perspective.
His closing response was “Yeah, you could probably do that, but why not just do a triceps exercise instead of modifying a bench press?” Really, did not we begin this dialog since you mentioned you appreciated modifying a bench press with 1 and ¼ reps to hit the triceps extra? Sheesh! I wasn’t going to push, as a result of it wasn’t a seminar about biomechanics and I did not need to be a kind of trainers who take over a lecture to show their level. Anyway, this teacher has numerous potential, however he’s younger and testy! I appreciated him to say the least:)
I hope you loved this submit, and can take into account this certification. Also, if you’d like to have the ability to rip aside educated instructors, textual content books, and just about everybody else within the gymnasium about biomechanics or train mechanics, it is best to strongly take into account the Resistance Training Specialist certification.
What is your favourite certification? Why? What data helped you choose a certification? Is there any matter you need to find out about particularly? Would you are taking the PICP certification?
Leave me some questions within the feedback and I’ll get proper again to you. SHOW ME YOU ARE ALIVE!
Until subsequent time, preserve your small business match.