March 16, 2019

JVM Education-A Free educational Resource Hub

Bangladesh cricket team escape shooting at Christchurch mosque


New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says 49 individuals have been killed and greater than 40 severely wounded after shootings at two mosques in Christchurch

Bangladesh cricketers had been “minutes” from being inside a mosque by which a deadly mass shooting in New Zealand passed off, says team supervisor Khaled Mashud.

The team had been “50 yards” from the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, when the shooting began.

“If we were there five minutes earlier, it would have been worse,” he added.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern mentioned 49 individuals had been killed in “terrorist attacks” at two mosques, whereas greater than 40 individuals are severely injured.

Mashud says the team “all are safe and sound” within the lodge however will journey residence “in the coming days”.

“Players were crying in the bus, they all were mentally affected,” the previous wicketkeeper advised the BBC’s Bengali Service.

The team arrived at the mosque on a bus following a information convention at the Hagley Oval – the venue of Saturday’s now cancelled third Test. It is known the information convention overran, resulting in the delay of their arrival at the mosque.

“There were 17 members on the bus, as a manager I had the responsibility to return to the hotel with the boys. It’s really hard, we fell like we were in a movie.”

Earlier, a few of the cricketers had described their ordeal on social media.

“Entire team got saved from active shooters,” tweeted batsman Tamim Iqbal.

Wicketkeeper batsman Mushfiqur Rahim tweeted that the team was “extremely lucky” and he “never wants to see these things happen again”.

Mohammad Isam, the Bangladesh correspondent for ESPN, advised the BBC he was with the gamers at the time of the shooting.

“I saw them get out of the parking lot, within five minutes one of the players [Iqbal] called me for help – he said save us, we are in big trouble someone is shooting.” mentioned Isam.

“I did not take him severely at first however then his voice was cracking up and I simply ran for it. I attempted to run all the way in which and I acquired a elevate from somebody and I reached the incident.

“I attempted to cost in the direction of the team bus, which I noticed from about 100 yards, I believed simply go close to to what was taking place, there was reside shooting occurring at that point, there was fireplace – I noticed one lifeless physique and one individual working in the direction of me with a bloodied shoulder.

“By the time I acquired near the park, the gamers had disembarked from the bus, they had been working in the direction of me and simply telling me to get out of there.

“We ran by means of the park and headed again to the bottom for security and had been there for about an hour.”

He added: “The gamers had been breaking down, they’d seen method an excessive amount of within the 15 minutes they had been held up within the bus, there was no safety as a result of it’s such a peaceable nation.”

“The gamers heard pictures being fired, they noticed individuals tumbling out of the gates and ducked below the bus.”

The Al Noor Mosque is positioned reverse the Hagley Oval

“We’ve cancelled the game,” mentioned New Zealand Cricket chief government David White. “I’ve spoken to my counterpart at Bangladesh cricket – we agree it is inappropriate to play cricket at this time.

“Both groups are deeply affected. As a rustic, we’ll must look at [security of visiting teams]. It gave the impression to be a protected haven. I’m positive all of New Zealand will have a look at their strategy.”

The International Cricket Council says it “totally helps” the choice to cancel the match.

The assaults occurred at Al Noor mosque, positioned in central Christchurch and one other within the suburb of Linwood.

A male in his late 20s has been charged with homicide, whereas three others have been detained.

Williams leads tributes

New Zealand Rugby World Cup winner Sonny Bill Williams says he’s “deeply saddened” by the assaults.

The 33-year-old, who transformed to Islam in 2009, recorded an emotional message on social media.

“I’m simply deeply, deeply saddened that this is able to occur in New Zealand,” he mentioned.

Former All Blacks and Wales participant Shane Howarth mentioned it was ” a really unhappy day”.

“To the Muslim group, I can solely make an apology and that you’re welcome in my nation.”

The the attackers, he added: “You have stained and scarred our nation, you don’t symbolize me or my values and I hope you rot in hell.”

Pakistan president Imran Khan, a former worldwide cricketer, tweeted: “Shocked and strongly condemn the Christchurch, New Zealand terrorist assault on mosques.

“This reaffirms what we have always maintained: that terrorism does not have a religion. Prayers go to the victims and their families.”

While Ireland’s New Zealand-born centre Bundee Aki, tweeted: “My prayers goes out to all the families, friends affected by this tragic news.”



Source link

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bot Varification *